March 12, 2010
We went to Goat Island today! We left at 8 this morning and drove for nearly 2 hours to get there, but it was beautiful! The water was freezing but we snorkeled out to the island anyway!
Goat Island is a tiny island in New Zealand located close to the North Island coast.
Known for centuries as Motu Hawere by the indigenous Māori, the island is spiritually significant to the local tangata whenua iwi, Ngati Manuhiri, because their ancestral waka (canoe), Moe Karaka, is said to have landed nearby.
With around 314,525 visitors per year, it is a popular spot forsnorkelers and scuba-divers, due to the abundance and diversity of fish now living within the reserve, after over 30 years of protection. {Wikipedia}
It was my first time snorkeling and I was actually not that into it. I really don't like the feeling of not being able to breathe through my nose! It made me nervous so I just booked it to land and didn't really enjoy myself at all! But I heard there were awesome fish, and even a stingray! I am such a water person, but I guess being the first time in the ocean without being able to touch the ground made me nervous! I have to learn to like it though because we are going in the Northland and in Australia! I will get the hang of it.
After snorkeling back, against the current, we were so exhausted and freezing cold so we just crashed on our beach mat all bundled up! We were laughing so hard because we didn't even move our stuff, but laid in the most uncomfortable positions because we were too tired! You would have thought Jayna was in a blizzard, she was covered head to toe!



Me and Ash spent the night at Jayna and Mekelle's. We pulled their mattresses on the floor and watched about an hour of LOTR 3 before passing out. I definitely slept on Jayna's box mattress with my snuggie. It was so funny!
March 13, 2010
Joy picked us up at 6:40 am this morning to go to the Otara Market! It was so great, I finally purchased some souvenirs for my family! We got what we needed in two hours and then headed off to the Pasifika Festival in Auckland! It was sweet as! It is an annual festival where many Pacific Islands are represented with vendors of beautiful hand-made treasures, delicious foods, and performances! Aotearoa was there, of course, as well as Tonga, Tuvalu, Nuie, Samoa, Tahiti, Fiji, Tokelau, and the Cook Islands. It was so interesting to see how different and alike each small culture was.
Miss Fiji.
Tokelaun Dancers.

Yes, it is what you think it is. Half a watermelon filled with ice cream, thank you. Why hasn't America thought of that? We caught a bus back to Jayna and Mekelle's, took a nap, and FINALLY finished the LOTR series. We can officially say we watched them all while being in NZ!
March 14, 2010
Just another Sunday in the Lincoln Ward! I can't believe next week will be our last week in this building! We heard some great talks, Sunday school was about marriage (I felt like I was at BYU!), and some of the girls taught Relief Society and did a great job! Me and Ashley really wanted some pictures in front of our beloved chapel, so here you are!
Monique made some peanut curry for lunch, and I've been blogging and skyping with my family ever since! Tonight we are hoping to get a ride to a YSA fireside! All I can think about is how tomorrow is March 15 in New Zealand, and that is a very important persons 21st birthay!
I love Aotearoa.

No comments:
Post a Comment