Friday, March 5, 2010

Auckland Museum and CLF.

Feb 26, 2010
Me and Ashley took the 7:49 train to Britomart and it was interesting because so many kids use public transportation to get to school! We got to the station, walked to the nearest bus, took that, asked a man in a dairy how to get there, and walked to the Auckland Museum! We are getting pretty good at the whole public transportation thing.
We met the rest of the girls at the museum and had a couple of hours to explore it. I was so impressed! It was high quality for a museum that just asks for donations. We met back up to watch a Maori Culture Program. Three woman and three men performed many of the original dances and songs of the culture, along with poi balls, weapon demonstrations, and the haka of course. It was so great! I fall more and more in love with this culture the more I am immersed in it. I want to see it all.



We finished up the museum, got on a bus, and went to see the shops on Parnell St. It's a top tourist site, but for rich tourists. Obviously, we didn't stay long. We got back on the bus and headed downtown to Queen St, and caught a few scenic ferries (as you can see below).

We went to a Chinese Lantern Festival in Albert Park! I thought of my dad while I was there, as he served in Taiwan on his mission and would have enjoyed the performances. I also thought of my little brother who has been interested in Asian culture for a few years now! I wished they could have come with me! The lanterns were amazing, especially after dark, but I thought you would enjoy the pictures of me and Mekelle dancing more:
tank you veddy muhch.

I've become quite talented at typing in accents, so be prepared for some more of that.

We didn't get home until nearly midnight (I DO have a social life!) and I crashed into bed. The next day we had a relaxing afternoon at the beach (sorry, no pictures), and watched some chick flicks. What a weekend!

1 comment:

kendra and jeffrey said...

Oh man I wish I could have seen those dancers in person! I'm glad you got a picture with them.