Monday, January 10, 2011

seriously, go away.

Not you. No, not you. I like you, dearest readers.

I'm talking about the evil little thoughts that creep into my mind when I all of a sudden realize I'm not invincible:
"You aren't good enough/pretty enough for him."
"You can't make a perfect score on the test, therefore you are incompetent."
"Seriously? You just cried in front of your coworkers and then slept through a party?"
"You made the wrong decision and now your entire life is going to take a different course and happiness will be very hard to come by and all your friends will get married tomorrow and you will be in Provo forever and probably gain ten pounds by Saturday."

Ok, so the last one was an exaggeration. But really, what can we do when these horrible doubts and fears try to plant themselves our heads? Nothing! It's an endless cycle of horrid torment! Just kidding.

We've actually been given a ton of guidance in this area. We (...I...) just need to remember to listen:
"You know enough."-Elder Neil L. Anderson
"You are creatures of divinity; you are daughters of the Almighty. Limitless is your potential. Magnificent is your future. Never forget that you came to earth as a child of the divine Father, with something of divinity in your very makeup.  The Lord did not send you here to fail." -Gordon B. Hinckley
"Come what may and love it."-Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. Behold, you have my gospel before you, and my rock, and my salvation." -D&C 18:10,17

All it takes is to remember our worth. But why is it still so hard? Because we are human. We cannot do it on our own; these degrading thoughts would tear us to pieces. Rely on the Lord to buoy you. He, and He alone, can give us the eternal perspective we need in trying times.

"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not." -D&C 6:36




Do you have a favorite talk or scripture you turn to when you are feeling down on yourself? 

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You have NO idea how much I needed to hear this right now. You are always such an angel for me, Bre. Thank you. :) And... your thoughts are so wrong. Tell them that they don't know who they are dealing with. :)

Hayley Marie said...

If it makes you feel better... I promise not to get married tomorrow. Just for you. Because you are awesome. And gorgeous.

Symantha said...

"like."
We are all in Provo forever. You can do it! Great quotes, btw.