I know in real life I talk about teaching, a LOT (in fact it’s all I talk about, poor roommates). But other than the first day of school, I haven’t really filled in the blog world.
It is the hardest thing I have ever done. I’m not being very successful at keeping my life balanced. There are days when I just want to sleep in and dream away about my students chaotically running in circles around the classroom because I didn’t show up. There are days when I come home and cry because I can’t get it all done. There are days when I feel failure because student #14 just cannot figure out simple division. And there are nights where I toss and turn, worrying about whether or not my students got dinner that night, if they are in bed before I am, and if they will come the next morning safe and healthy.
I work at the most at-risk school in the district. Even though it is in Provo, Utah, many consider it an inner-city school because of the socioeconomic status of most the students. Most of my students’ parents don’t speak my language and both work full-time jobs (or 2 or 3). Most of my students have an ESL status, and don’t understand academic English. Most of my fourth graders are on a second grade reading level. Many of them still can’t add.
Amidst all these setbacks, I am absolutely in LOVE with teaching. I have twenty-one beautiful students and I know them better than I thought I would. They have such a desire to listen and to learn. They each live a much harder life than I did as a nine-year-old, but they are so strong. Going to work is a struggle, but as soon as the bell rings and I know they will be running in to show me their new Silly Bandz or tell me they forgot their homework, I get so excited. I love to teach, and I love to see their faces light up when they understand a new concept. I love their jokes and their notes to “Miss Stutz the bestest ticher ever” and their laughter when “the bestest ticher ever” does something really crazy (that I would never do in front of adults). They truly have infinite love.
1 comment:
I LOVE hearing about this! It makes me so excited. Keep going, Breanna! You are doing such an amazing thing.
Post a Comment