I have been on a self-prescribed facebook fast since November 9th. Yes, I am one of those people. My goal is to be facebook-free until I am home in Texas for Thanksgiving on November 23rd. And I am more than halfway there! I know I am missing some messages and events and funny things going on (I've heard about some of them in real-life contact. I know, shocking.), but it has actually been so great! Some silly things (and silly people) that had been bothering me are totally unimportant now, and I think it is because I have learned to disconnect from online distractions and to focus on people when they are in the same room as me. I have actually made some serious social progress in just the past week, and I'm not giving my facebook fast all the credit (because I have really been working on the whole life-balance thing), but I know it is definitely a factor. Facebook is an amazing tool and can be useful and fun, but just as with everything else, moderation is the way to go. Do you have something that you can't fathom living without? Do you check your facebook ten times a day? Text every five minutes? Need that diet coke every morning? Try one day without it. One day.
You will pleasantly surprise yourself.

2 comments:
You're so cool, but for some reason I feel like you may be referring to me!
Of course she is. I think anyone who reads the diet coke part thinks of you.
Post a Comment