Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cupcakes.

A cupcake (the common US and Australian term), is a small cake designed to serve one person, frequently baked in a small, thin paper cup. As with larger cakes, frosting and other cake decorations, such as sprinkles, are common on cupcakes.


Thank you Wikipedia. Let's be clear, their not just pint-sized cakes. Cupcakes are something else entirely. I'll be honest. Cupcakes are the love of my life. I make a batch once a week, on average. And although I usually end up giving them away (which is a fast, easy, and guaranteed way to make friends, more specifically of the male gender), I can't resist one or two of them every once in a while. I wish I could explain my fetish, or even my endearment of these 5-bite-size desserts. My cupcake obsession is fed by blogs such as http://www.allthingscupcake.com/about/ and http://cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com.


Here are some tips to remember when preparing cupcakes:

• Don't overfill the tins. If you do, the batter could spill over.

• An ice cream scoop works well to ladle the batter into the tins. Or use a 1/4 cup measuring cup so the cupcakes are the same size. Spray the scoop or measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray so the batter pours out easily.

• Once you remove cupcakes from the oven, let them cool completely before frosting. Cover or place in an airtight container to keep them from drying out.

• When frosting, cover the top completely. The frosting keeps the cupcake from drying out.

• Use paper liners for easier cleanup. You can find decorative liners at cake and candy supply stores.

• Use a pastry bag to frost the cupcakes. No pastry bag? Use a plastic sealable bag with the corner tip cut off.

Breanna's Words of Wisdom: Everyone deserves cupcakes and a hug every once in a while.

9 comments:

Carolyn said...

I knew I liked you! Alli and I make cupcakes all the time...more frosting the better! You could make some and bring them to my house.....

Meredith said...

Yeah Bre, where the heck are these cupcakes. I'm hurt that I never get any!! Please come play again!

Nicole said...

Oh man. I love this so much. :) You are the greatest. And awesome tips! I will be using those!

kendra and jeffrey said...

Thank you for your insightful words of wisdom. You have inspired me because yesterday when I went to the grocery store I bought a cake mix--spice flavored. I know. I though to myself "I can be as cool as Breanna if I buy these and make them!" and so I did.

though I won't be as cool.
Love.

James said...

I love cupcakes! Its the perfect size treat! Sadly we don't own a cupcake tin:( My sister recommends to place cakes in the freezer for several hours before icing and serving...I haven't tried it just yet. We gladly welcome baked goods at our house..fyi;)

James said...

oh its Megan!

Rica said...

Gosh...now I really feel like I need to make some cupcakes! I haven't baked in so long, and it used to be my passion.

The best ones are yellow cake cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Mmm...

Marissa Stutz said...

When are you going to blog again?

Molly M. said...

You should check this out:
http://whymormonguyzstaysingle.blogspot.com/